Sunday, July 22, 2012

Upcoming classes

I will be teaching at Pennsic XLI:

Late 16th Century English Polychrome Embroidery: This class will cover the historical context of late 16th century English polychrome embroidery. We will discuss materials, techniques, and meaning of this embellished, exquisite domestic art form. We will view many historical examples, including coifs, jackets and nightcaps. This class is a lecture/dicussion only.

I will also be teaching at EKU (East Kingdom University) on August 25th, in Bhakail:

Late 16th Century English Polychrome Embroidery: This class will cover the historical context of late 16th century English polychrome embroidery. We will discuss materials, techniques, and meaning of this embellished, exquisite domestic art form. We will view many historical examples, including coifs, jackets and nightcaps. This class is a lecture/dicussion only.

and

16th Century English Monochrome Embroidery: This class will cover the historical context of monochrome embroidery (colloquially called "blackwork") in 16th England. We will discuss materials, techniques, and design of this art form. This class is a lecture/discussion only.

I'm focusing on the historical context of both of these embroidery forms, in attempt to "train the eye" of my students. I find that there are a lot of videos that demonstrate techniques, and there are also a lot of classes that focus on the "how" instead of the "why" of embroidery. I really love the "why", and want to share that understanding. For instance, we often teach blackwork as a reversible, linear, counted form. But when we really examine the extant pieces, and the paintings, that sort of blackwork is a very small percentage, early in the century. The vast majority of monochrome embroidery, both extant and in portraits, is uncounted, often curvalinear, sometimes naturalistic, speckled, filled, representations of actual objects, such as plants, animals, and flowers. The reversible linear, counted blackwork is such a small part of monochrome embroidery, I'm really beginning to wonder why it is so often the focus of classes. But, I'm on my soapbox again. Please feel free to add any dissenting input in the comments. ;)

My class notes will be available on my wikispaces, as soon as I get them finalized.

2 comments:

  1. Because it's pretty accessible to people who come to the SCA with modern counted cross stitch experience. And, it's pretty easy to teach. And, it's what modern blackwork is so much about. It's the gateway blackwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see all that. It just seems like that's where it stops, and that's what is bugging me. Especially because it alienates people who "hate" counted- they walk around believing that "blackwork" is beyond them. But I'll keep this in mind. :)

      Delete