Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Reflections

I taught a class on Late 16th/Early 17th C. English Polychrome embroidery. Here are the class notes: Polychrome Class Notes.

I feel like the class went very well- my goal to was to "root" polychrome embroidery in it's historical time and place, as well as to communicate what I see when I look at the embroidery.

Too often, I think that when "mistakes" are made, it's a matter of interpretation. The scale is off from the historical examples, the colors or use of white space are off, and this is something I tried to communicate. And it's also something I only truly understood after thousands of hours of looking at the same pictures, revisiting them again and again.

It's such a tricky thing. Because each extant piece was made by a person, there are bound to be variations. Nothing is true all the time, and we can always find exceptions and anomalies. What I try to communicate is what I see to be the most common- what I see again and again when I view extant examples. Sure, anyone can find the one random example, but I prefer to go with the things I see consistently, and can document to more than one item. It just feels more "right" to do that. It doesn't mean, however, that I know everything. I frequently feel a sense of panic over just how much I don't know. I learn new things all the time, and one of the reasons I love teaching is because I have the opportunity to learn from my students. I'm sharing what I see- but each person brings their own eye to it, so what I see may be different from what you see, and that's awesome. :)

I'm teaching this class again at East Kingdom University on 8/25, and I'm also teaching a class on 16th C. English Monochrome Embroidery. This one makes me a bit more nervous- I'm trying to do an overview of a century of a style of embroidery, and a style that I believe to be often misinterpreted. I may take on the sacred cow of counted reversible blackwork, and it will be interesting on a couple of levels. #1 is that is may not be as sacred a cow as I think it is, and #2, it's possible that my own confirmation bias may be playing into it. That's one of the most challenging things, I think. Am I honestly seeing what I think I'm seeing, or am I merely finding examples that confirm what I expect to find? I don't think it's confirmation bias, because I developed my theories from observation of the extant pieces, instead of looking for extant pieces to fit my theory. But it's still important to be mindful of the dangers.

I hope you've enjoyed this little glimpse into my thought process. :D Here's a progress pic from my shift:

No comments:

Post a Comment