Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spiderweb 2.0

I was very unhappy with the first version of the spider web, so I re-visited it. Based on observations from my apprentice sister, Lady Mairghread Ghear, I did indeed length the spokes, and use more couching stitches to create a more bowed line between the spokes. I'm much happier with this version:

Now I just need to decide if I'm adding anything else to the embroidery. The original examples have some satin stitch leaves, so I may add those, or just leave it as it is, although it does look like Halloween.

***

In other news, I'm also investigating period applique. The extant 16th century examples are mostly couched on, either cut fabric or cut needlework slips. I did receive my copy of Digby's Elizabethan Embroidery, so I need to read through that, as well as the Levey's catalog of the Hardwick Hall embroideries, and possibly the Bard exhibit. I'm excited about it this, which surprises me, because I never thought applique was all that exciting. But considering there are many 16th century English hangings and furnishing which use these techniques, it looks like I might really be able to make some beautiful things.

The sweet bag remains the top priority, as soon as Customs lets my book through.

No comments:

Post a Comment