Sunday, February 20, 2011

Couching

I also decided to give couching a try. I was inspired by seeing a detail of this image in Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd

In color, the tree is obviously done with metallic threads, but in the black and white image in the book, it's also obvious that the tree is couched down. I decided to do everything with couching, and this is the result:

I decided to do the whole thing with couching, even though the original seems to incorporate padding or stumpwork. I especially enjoyed couching the spiral of the spider's body. I'm disappointed how the spider web turned out- I need to pull that out and try again, and re-examine my inspiration pic. I think I didn't make the spokes of the web long enough, but I might also need to fuss with the couching, to get the more rounded feel of the web in between the spokes.

I have not yet decided what to make with this, perhaps some sort of small bag or purse, maybe to carry some sewing supplies.

This is done using silk thread on a wool flannel base.

No comments:

Post a Comment