Friday, February 4, 2011

Progress

The sweet bag project has been slow going. I needed to order metal thread supplies, and then I found a book, Sweet Bags by Jacqui Carey, so now I don't want to start until it arrives.

But I decided to try some new stitches. Obviously, gobelin for the ground, but I'd really love to add some plaited braid. I'd also like to get detached buttonhole down.

So while home sick, I practiced detached buttonhole. It continues to elude me. I just can't get an even tension. Either I pull too tight, and make needlelace, or it's too loopy and just looks sloppy.

But I did try some plaited braid, using this youtube video: Video.

And here are the initial attempts:

I tried a variety of threads, and finally thought of using upholstery thread, as I hoped it might mimic the weight and stiffness of metal thread for practice. I'm pretty pleased with myself, although the pic is a bit blurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment