Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Metal Threads

Working with metal threads has been an interesting experience. They are quite finicky. I'm using No. 4 silver passing thread for the ground of my bag, done in an "Elizabethan Ground Stitch", as advocated by Jacqueline Carey, in her Sweet Bag Book. She points out that this is the most common stitch on the bags she has observed, and, indeed, there is a clear difference in the amount of metal thread visible on a side, so it makes sense that this stitch would be used, as it would allow for the least amount of "hidden" expensive metal thread.

Right side:

Wrong side:

I'm working with a brass needle, made by my husband. This has a punched eye, which is much kinder on the metal thread than the stamped eye of a commercial needle. (The steel needle sticking under the threads is used when I need to fix a mistake and pull out metal threads, rather than bend my brass needles).

The ground stitch is very soothing to the eye, although mistakes are obvious. It's worked 1:4, and then loops behind for 2, similar to a stem stitch.

1 comment: