Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Petticoat Junction


After much thought and many google image searches, I have decided not to wear a farthingale with my current Flanders Gown project. The Elizabethans are not Victorians- shoes and ankles are often seen in paintings and drawings, indicating that skirts were not worn long enough to "drag in the mud". The farthingale is cumbersome, and gets in the way of my day to day chores. And if I sit for a portrait, I may break out the best and fanciest clothing I had- but those hoops could be a danger if I'm working near a fire.

(I do have plans, and fabulous material, for a more "noble" Flanders gown ensemble, which will include a farthingale. But that's a project for another time.)

I found a gorgeous 2 over 1 red wool twill, perfect for an Elizabethan petticoat. Red petticoats are frequently mentioned in late 16th century English wills, (as well as Gone with the Wind. I used two full fabric width rectangles, joined with a running stitch done with waxed linen thread, and knife pleated them in a waistband. (See pic). I added linen tape ties at the waist, and roll hemmed the bottom, securing with a silk thread whipstitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment