Friday, December 11, 2009

Project the First



I decided to make my first "official" post a project that I had already completed. This is the German Brick Stitch pouch that won our Baronial A&S championship. I am cutting and pasting my documentation, because it's already finished. For future projects, I will document the learning process as it occurs. Here it is:

Objective: To use German brick stitch to create a small pouch.

Background: Brick stitch is a counted thread stitch found in central Germany in the late 14th and early 15th centuries.

Materials:
32-count linen evenweave canvas
Wool embroidery thread from Renaissance Dyeing, (these are dyed using period Renaissance techniques and colors). I used colors 2001 (blue regue), 1617 (bayuex green), 1309 (rose madder , 1417 (gold), and 0900 (ivory). I used it as a single-ply, because this provided effective coverage of the canvas.

Why this?
I was attracted to the simplicity of the brick stitch, yet the simple stitch produced elaborate patterns. I also wanted an opportunity to use the wool embroidery thread, as I usually work with silk. I chose to make a small pouch because it was a practical use of the embroidery, as well as period use of the embroidery, as there is an example in the Victoria and Albert’s Museum.

Method:
I used a pattern from Master Richard Wymarc’s website “A Stitch Out of Time”. I chose this pattern because I the colors of the original, as well as the simple diamond shapes, and I also liked the intermitten “lion figure”. When I completed an appropriate sized piece, I folded it in half, and used a running stitch across the bottom and up one side, to create a pouch. I then inserted a linen lining, and whipstitched them together at the top, using white silk embroidery thread. My finished pouch ended up measuring 3.5 by 4.0 inches, slightly larger than the pouch in the V&A museum, which measured approx. 3 x 3 inches. I created a 5-bow fingerloop braid out of the red and yellow wool to create a hang strap for the bag.

What I Learned:
I enjoyed working with the wool thread, although it was not as sturdy as the silk. I also noticed some slight fading of color as my work progressed,

Sources:

A Stitch Out of Time Website: http://www.wymarc.com

Victoria and Albert Museum Website: http://vam.ac.uk

Renaissance Dyeing: http://www.renaissancedyeing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment